Maybe you’ve decided as a student in 2018 or student apprentice that you’re fed up of being an employee or a student apprentice and want to know how to start a freelance makeup business on your own terms.
Here, I will be outlining the tools and steps needed on how to start a freelance Makeup business as a Student in 2018 and ways to broadcast/advertise yourself and your business as a student in 2018 or student apprentice.
Note: Before you Continue reading, it is expected that you know a thing or two about makeup artistry.
Decide and choose a Business Name
Yes, this is very important if you really want to know how to start a freelance Makeup Business, market yourself properly. You have to make the name short and memorable and easy to pronounce and spell. Endeavor to make the name tally with your business as this helps to create a positive visual scenario for your prospective customers.
Building your Makeup Kit.
These are a list of products you will need on how to start a freelance makeup business as a Student .
- Full Brush Set and Brush Cleanser
- Minimum 4 Liquid Foundations (you can mix to get the perfect shade)
- Setting Powder (control shine)
- Minimum 15 Eye shadows Depending on Skin Tone (palette form will save you space later)
- Lipsticks/Gloss (don’t go crazy most brides will want to carry their own)
- Mascara (waterproof)
- Eyeliner (black/brown)
- False Lashes (assortment)
- Skin Care (do not ignore, very important to achieve that flawless skin)
- Primer (need to smooth out texture in the skin and control shine)
- Tools – Eyelash Curler, Lash Glue, Sponges, Spatula, Tester Wands
These are the essentials to have in your makeup kit, now don’t go crazy with the cost because its better to buy the quality and build your makeup kit slowly than want everything at once and not care about the quality.
ALERT! DO NOT BUY ONLINE MAKEUP PRODUCTS from an unreliable source.
Setting up your finances
- Set up a business bank account, yeah, this is very important as this will help you track your business and keep it separate from your personal account.
- Keep track of all your receipts and invoices so you will be prepared and organized for tax time that is if you decide to own an office, shop or kiosk (e.g Local government, state government as other taxes).
Decide your Price Range and List
Your prices should vary depending on the location and occasion of your client, you could charge extra fees for travel and miscellaneous. Most artist give a special rate for the more makeup they have to do (e.g ashwebi bridal train) or (drama group).
TIP: When giving clients your price list inform them that prices vary depending on location, this will save the stress of explaining later!
Ways to market your business
- Networking is key: This is the most important and powerful marketing tool for your business. To get your freelance makeup business off the ground you want to make sure you properly network yourself and your business among your peers. The makeup artist industry is a very competitive industry and word of mouth can make all the difference to the success of your freelance business. Talk to people wherever you go weddings, airplanes, events and get your name out there. Networking is all about building those long term trusting relationships, building them and keeping them strong. Maintain a strong circle of contacts, follow up with clients and build trust.
- Social Network: yes, your social media accounts have a very good role to play here because it is a medium where you can reach a wide range of people. Social networks like twitter, facebook and youtube will help market you to the world if you use them wisely. You can also own a blog or a website to offer tutorial class or right about your experiences.
- Build your portfolio: your portfolio is your resume or CV. When you make a collection of your best works (either video or pictures), together it showcases your talent and help you gain new clients.
Please do not fail to comment and share this article to your friends.